Like any piece of equipment or machinery, HVAC equipment must be maintained and cared for. Certainly, that encompasses the basic tasks associated with most preventive maintenance (PM). But it also means accounting for the universe of variables that affect HVAC unit performance, then analyzing data, and making smart decisions based on your analysis. That may not seem overly challenging if you manage a dozen or so stores. But if you manage hundreds or even thousands of stores, small decisions add up to big expenditures.
Think of patient care in a hospital. Each patient has different medical challenges and should be treated differently. In order to do so, doctors need relevant information – about the patient, about his or her condition, and about unique circumstances that may determine the ultimate course of treatment.
HVAC maintenance is really no different. Good decisions occur when thoughtful questions are asked up front. Here are just a few to consider:
- Do you know the age and condition of the HVAC equipment at all of your facilities?
- Do you know when each of your HVAC units was last serviced?
- Do you know which of your HVAC units are under warranty and for how long?
- How many emergency HVAC calls did you have, and how much did those calls cost you in total?
- What’s the age, make and model of all equipment that may have failed?
You may have dealt with several HVAC emergencies last summer, but knowing the age, make and model of the equipment that failed, you can put those emergencies in the right context. Say that half of all those emergencies occurred with rooftop units (RTUs) that were over 25 years old. No matter how much your service provider pampered those units, they would still struggle during a hot summer.
Proper PM can seem like a daunting proposition. So, too, can knowing the questions you need to ask in order to maximize PM. Thankfully, at CLS Facility Services, we pioneered a solution that takes the guesswork out of HVAC management and maintenance. It’s called PM Logic®, an industry exclusive solution from CLS that transforms troubleshooting into logical and effective HVAC maintenance management.
PM Logic® provides easy, Web-based access to industry knowledge that can save you time, keep your equipment healthy and efficient for years, and optimize your facility management budget.
PM Logic® is an easy-to-use online interface that provides comprehensive data-driven analysis and operational recommendations, including:
- PM recommendations for your specific unit type, including situational and environmental variables;
- Repair tracking and status updates, including a detailed history of service calls, repairs, open work orders and previous quotes;
- Equipment evaluation and replacement data;
- Equipment replacements;
- Warranty tracking that helps clients realize money-saving opportunities;
- Energy management system installation and monitoring.
PM Logic® provides a wealth of HVAC asset management knowledge that is both site sensitive and RTU specific. Just as important, it makes that knowledge easy to access and manage through CLS’ simple online system. PM Logic® helps you keep all of your locations at just the right temperature, whether it’s in the dead of winter, or the dog days of summer.
In our next installment on PM Logic®, we’ll take a closer look at one of the key indicators that help to guide PM decisions: the PM Score. Until then, please call us at 800-548-3542 to learn more about CLS’s national HVAC service and our other Logic solutions – QC Logic® and CM Logic®.