Case Study: A Retail LED Retrofit Program with Brilliant Results
About Our Client
Our client is a home products retailer with more than 55 stores across more than 10 states. The company was looking for a more effective approach to complete retail LED retrofit management across its stores, including rebate preparation and turnkey support.
The Problem: A Need for New Assets and More Proactive Retail LED Retrofit Support
- Our client was struggling with major repair costs that came from having to replace burnt-out ballasts and T8 lighting.
- They wanted a provider who could offer detailed lighting system audits, perform turn-key LED project management, and maximize rebates to further drive down costs.
- The warranties on its lamps and fixtures were weak, resulting in a reduced long-term investment.
The Solution: A Prioritized Approach to LED Retrofitting
- The client reviewed their list of stores to analyze the locations with the most lamp and ballast outages.
- We reviewed the completed list to prioritize stores with the strongest utility rebates in that geographical area and to create better ROI opportunities for retail LED retrofit projects.
- We then performed detailed lighting audits, outlining a thorough lighting analysis of our recommended solutions at each facility.
- We executed seven retail LED retrofits in 2021 and 11 LED retrofits in 2022 to align with the client’s CapEx budgetary needs. An additional eight retrofit projects are slated for 2023.
- Our exceptional team also secured an industry-leading 10-year warranty on all lamps. This was a significant achievement to maximize the longevity of our client’s investment.
- Our retail LED retrofits eliminated all ballasts, creating major maintenance and energy savings moving forward.
- All 18 completed projects resulted in 55–72% energy savings, given the dynamic wattage reduction.
The Result: Significant Energy and Cost Reductions
- Project execution was superb, with the CLS Team providing daily completion updates and managing all communications with store personnel.
- Material lead times were very minimal, which was extremely beneficial during a time when lead times have been difficult on a national level.
- Rebates were achieved for every location where they were available. We even earned additional Electric Grid Incentive rebates — something other companies had never told us about.
- Stores have had zero outages or warranty requests for lamps since completion of projects and are 100% lit, with no more ballasts.
- Our client received wonderful feedback from store managers and personnel regarding larger light levels.
- Stores had color uniformity as a result of the LED projects —i.e. no more varying colors due to multiple lamp specs. Uniformity throughout!